Crock-Pot® Slow cooked Asian Style Lamb
6 hours on 2
1.5-2kg leg of lamb or boned shoulder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped (use chilli to your preference of heat)
3 star anise
3 lemon grass stalks, bashed
200ml sweet chilli sauce
100ml rice wine vinegar
150ml dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
To serve – shredded spring onions, toasted sesame seeds, rice noodles or fried rice, steamed Asian greens.
1. In a suitable bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
2. If using the Crock-Pot Sauté Slow Cooker, place the Sauté Slow cooker inner bowl onto your hob and allow to heat until hot. Add the vegetable oil. If you are not using a Sauté Slow Cooker, use any pan suitable for the hob.
3. Remove the lamb from its packaging, place carefully into the inner bowl and sauté on all sides until golden. Use the lid to cover the bowl whilst you are sautéing, to prevent fat splashes.
4. Place the bowl and lamb onto the slow cooker base, pour over the sauce and select temperature 2, adjust the time to 6 hours, cover with the lid.
5. Once the lamb has finished cooking, carefully remove from the inner bowl and set aside to keep warm. (If you would like your lamb crispy, place on a baking sheet and cook in a hot oven for 10 minutes).
6. Remove the star anise and lemon grass from the sauce, adjust seasoning and thicken if required with a little cornflour mixed with water.
7. Serve the lamb on a warmed plate with 2 forks for shredding, a separate jug of the sauce and some of the serving suggestions above.
Why not spice up your mid-week meal roster with our slow cooked Asian style lamb? A great dish to leave cooking while you’re at work and the kids are at school, this delightful recipe combines the sweet and spicy tastes of Asia with melt-in-your-mouth lamb. Slow cooking is the perfect way to prepare lamb, creating that soft, delicate texture which is so hard to achieve in the oven.
Using a whole leg or boned shoulder of lamb, the lamb simply falls apart when cooked, perfect for shredding. The lamb can be served with almost anything from Asian greens and noodles, to rice or even thin pancakes. And it could not be easier to make the slow cooked Asian style lamb — just let your Crock-Pot do all the hard work.
The recipe is made up of cupboard essentials, fridge regulars and just a couple of more exotic ingredients, so you’ll be surprised just how cheap it is to whip up our slow cooked Asian style lamb for the whole family. Serving up to eight people, this recipe is ideal for families with big appetites and a great taste in food.